Communication is an important part of today’s world – especially in the era of rising virtual meetings as well as the world of gaming. The ability to hear properly is an often-overlooked aspect of such communications and can lead to frustrating experiences if not correctly addressed. Hence, getting it right can lead to an overall smoother and improved experience.
What is Mic Monitoring?
Wireless headsets have a microphone attached which allows you to hear yourself more clearly while speaking. This is especially helpful in gaming where mic monitoring allows the user requires to be able to hear themselves without the need to modulate their own voices or speak louder.
In certain situations where gamers shout in excitement or speak without realising how loudly they are doing so can create an unpleasant gaming experience. The ability to listen and self-regulate one’s own voice can create a more enjoyable experience for both parties – speaker and receivers.
In addition, users are able to detect whether they are having any issues with their own microphone and hence can troubleshoot more easily.
You can enable mic monitoring on Windows, Xbox One, and PS4, and we have included advances and guidelines for how to do it so beneath.
Why is Mic Monitoring used?
Mic monitoring has been around for a very long time as of now. In many cases, a large proportion of individuals still do not know how to use this nifty feature. In fact, many people have not even heard about the concept.
Gamers generally utilize this element and plenty of gaming brands have created gadgets around this too. Hence, it can be a valuable tool once applied correctly.
Clear sound is a top priority where gaming and recording vocals are concerned. This also rings true for conducting meetings and conference calls where sound needs to be clear and of acceptable volume.
For these two situations then, mic monitoring can come in help. Since it permits you to hear yourself, it becomes that much easier to decipher whether you’re cutting off or if there’s an excess of commotion.
With this in mind, you’ll also have the option to recognize any audio-related issues and adjust accordingly. Acting appropriately without having anybody brief you is hence a helpful solution.
You Don’t Need To Raise Your Voice
Have you ever played a first person shooter game like Call of Duty? When you start walking you can hear the sound of footsteps, characters talking to each other, and the many audio bites that come included within the game. Overall, a lot of noise is generated which can be a distracting feature especially if you are a serious gamer. Many will compensate by having to increase the volume.
The unexpected sounds and thriving voices may not be good for hearing capacity in the long-term. That is the reason having the option to hear one’s own voice can help individuals perceive the volume with which they are speaking. This is why mic monitoring becomes crucial as it allows users to lower their voices to acceptable volumes.
How to Enable and Disable Mic Monitoring?
- 1. Open the “Launchpad” and search for QuickTime Player. Once you find it open the app.
- 2. Now click on “File” on topbar and then click on “New Audio Recording”
- 3. Now you can see a seek bar at the bottom of the window of the recorder app. This is where you can change the mic monitoring intensity from here.
- 4. You don’t have to start the recording here. To disable the mic monitoring, you can drag the seek to extreme left while to max it out drag it to extreme right.
Mic Monitoring PC
(For Windows 10 users)
- 1. Access the Control Panel by searching for it in the left hand taskbar
- 2. Now click on “Sounds” from the “Hardware & Sounds” category
- 3. On the top of the window, you can see three-four tabs: Playback, Recording, Sounds, Communications.
- 4. Click on the Recording tab
- 5. Find “Microphone” in the Recording tab
- 6. Now select “Microphone” and click on Properties
- 7. A new smaller window will pop up and it’ll have four tabs: General, Listen, Levels, and Advanced
- 8. Now check “Listen to this device” and it’ll enable the mic monitoring.
- 9. Click OK and you’re all set
Mic Monitoring Xbox One
Mic Monitoring on the Xbox One is a relatively easy task, just follow the steps below:
- 1. Press the home button
- 2. Select the audio button at the right bottom
- 3. Now you can see three seek bars with the label: Headset Volume, Headset Chat Mixer, and
- Mic Monitoring. Please click the appropriately named ‘Mic Monitoring’
- 4. Similarly to the MacOS, you have to drag the seek to the extreme left to disable it or the extreme right to enable it.
Mic Monitoring Playstation
The Playstation is another popular gaming console from Sony. Below are the steps to enable Mic Monitoring:
- 1. Open settings
- 2. Then select the “Devices” tab
- 3. Now select “Audio Devices”
- 4. Now you can see a seek bar with “Sidetone Volume”, this is what Mic Monitoring is called in PlayStation.
- 5. Now you can drag it to the extreme left to disable mic monitoring and the extreme right to enable it at max capacity.
Advantages of Mic Monitoring
- 1. Mic monitoring allows you to hear your voice on your headphones which allows you to self-regulate your own volume
- 2. For the large part, the Mic feedback is done through real-time
Do All Headsets Support Mic Monitoring?
This depends on the headset you are using. Some permit you to add a receiver with mouthpiece settings where you can change the mic volume, its information, EQ, and different settings. More often than not, you can discover the choice to turn on mic checking here.
Generally, mic monitoring is an inconspicuous tool which is not often easily accessed for those who do not its whereabouts. Indeed, the fact of the matter is most headsets will have mic observing highlights, however, we can’t state the equivalent for more seasoned and obsolete models.
In situations where your headset does not cover this feature, do not fret – there are options available.
Turtle Beach Audio Controller Plus
The Turtle Beach Audio Controller Plus is a third party controller which allows users to adjust mic monitoring for both Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S. It provides increased hearing accuracy with ability to select from different gaming & mic presets. Not only this, but the headset enables volume mix, master volume and mic mute control. These are all necessary to enable the benefits of mic monitoring listed above as well the advantages of a superior gaming experience.
With all things considered, mic observing has become a basic and incredibly supportive tool in the channel of communications. In gaming, it empowers a superior experience through ability to test mic input and regulate voice volumes. In meetings, where clear audio is a top priority, mic monitoring is an invaluable tool for all participants. Hence, no doubt more may come to terms with the advantages that the tool offers.